Solutions to 3 Christmas disasters
It’s Christmas day. What’s the worst that could happen? A snow storm? Your oven breaks? Or you forget to buy a gift. Fingers crossed you have a perfect day, but just in case, here are our tips for helping you get through any of those potential disasters!
- If you know that a snow or ice storm is on its way ahead of time, put a magnet (about the size of a fifty pence piece – you can purchase these at a craft store or DIY stores) over the top of the door lock. It will prevent moisture from entering the lock and freezing, which causes frozen door locks.
- Brush off any snow covering the ice with a brush or broom. (But not with a snow shovel as it will scratch paint.)
- Start the car and let it warm up with the heater and defrosters on. Turn on headlights too – the heat from the bulbs will help to soften the ice.
- Spray a light coating of a vinegar/water solution on the front window (3 parts vinegar/1 part water in a spray bottle). Vinegar is mildly acidic and will eat away at the ice. Don’t use too much though as you don’t want it to effect the surface of the windshield.
OVEN BREAKS DOWN
- If you have a small bird to cook, consider barbecuing it or cooking it pot-roast style on the hob.
- If you definitely need the oven, consider switching gears – and thawing something else that you can grill.
- Move the entire dinner to a close friend or family member’s house (that’s what family is for) – and use their oven.
- Can you order take-away?
FORGOT TO BUY A GIFT
- Wine and/or chocolate always make a great last minute present. Try to keep extra on hand. If needs be, supplement with a holiday plant.
- Not every shop is closed during the holidays. Gift cards are sold in variety of shops now – and make a great gift too.
- Download a MOLLY MAID Gift Voucher to give someone the precious gift of time.