Tips to a seasonal wardrobe de-clutter
Autumn calls for a wardrobe de-clutter involving two mind-sets: one decisive and one sentimental.
MOLLY MAID, the professional home cleaning experts , suggest the following top tips to help pack away your summer wardrobe and use it as an opportunity to de-clutter as you move into the Autumn and Winter months.
- Divide your summer wardrobe into ‘keepers’ and ‘items to donate to charity’. Don’t forget the shoes and summer flip flops!
- Pack away items for donation into bin bags and remove them from the room.
- Look out for holes, stains and clothing items that may have shrunk in washes.
- If in doubt, try clothes on for the 100th time to make sure they still fit as they should.
- If you have trouble deciding whether you would ever wear it again, do the litmus test and ask yourself what occasion you would wear it for e.g. work, dinner party, week-end, beach and so on!
- If you still have doubts, sell anything you haven’t worn in a year that might be out of style.
- Then, if that doesn’t work, try to strip out any emotional attachment you may have for selected pieces of clothing and be honest with yourself.
- Leave out a few some good transitional outfits: cool enough for warm autumn days, but not too summery!
- And before packing away your summer clothes for storage, make sure all clothes are clean.
- Never fall into the trap of having a ‘maybe’ pile as these stragglers will wriggle their way back into the wardrobe!
Reassure yourself that your new wardrobe, like the old, will acquire its own memory and experience. There’s a whole new season dawning and your wardrobe will have the space to breath once again.