10 Steps to a Stress-Free Holiday Dinner Party
‘Tis the season for get-togethers and while it’s wonderful to gather friends and family in your home, a dinner party can be a lot of work before, during and after for the hostess. Here is how to plan a stress-free event – and enjoy it too!
- Make it a potluck. Plan the menu in advance and take on a main course meat yourself. Then, assign different course dishes to guests (appetizer, main vegetable, main bread, dessert) but give guests an opportunity to have some choice too.
- Make it a buffet. This is an efficient and fun way to serve a lot of people. Do make sure the buffet table is accessible from at least two sides – and scatter seating everywhere.
- Deep clean the house at least two weeks before the party.
- Hire MOLLY MAID before and/or after the party to help you clean the house.
- Prepare foods and decorate as much in advance as possible.
- Serve an easy make-ahead cocktail so that all you have to do is pour it into a glass with ice and frozen cranberries (rather than use a shaker and measuring for each drink).
- Rearrange furniture so it’s easy to wander and talk to other guests.
- Rent dishes, cutlery and wine glasses so there are no dishes to do when the party is over.
- As guests arrive, keep food that needs to be kept warm at about200 degrees F.
- Lighting and background music matter and set a holiday atmosphere. Use candles, low lights and Christmas decorations to create atmosphere – break out ‘White Christmas’ and all the other favourite holiday tunes.