17 Ways to Keep Cool When It’s Hot
When it’s blazing hot outside, here are easy ways to keep your cool.
- Keep warmer air outside during the day by closing windows, pulling shades and closing blinds.
- Tilt horizontal blinds upwards – to block heat but still allow light in.
- Hang light-coloured curtains.
- Use compact fluorescent light bulbs in place of heat-emitting incandescent bulbs.
- Apply low E reflective film (available at your local DIY store)to windows to reflect heat away.
- Open windows at night to let cooler outside air in.
- Plan outdoor activities for early in the morning or late in the day when it’s cooler.
- Spend the afternoon at a public pool or lake – and stay in the water.
- Run through a sprinkler (even if you don’t have kids).
- Head to an air-conditioned shopping mall, public library, cinema or other public space.
- Wear loose fitting, light-coloured clothing.
- Wear long hair up and off your neck.
- Keep mist toner spray in the fridge – and spritz your face!
- Use ceiling fans – in the summer, they should turn counter clockwise so they are pushing air down.
- Make the bed with (cool) white satin sheets.
- Plan easy summer meals (barbecue or cool crispy salads) rather than use the stove or oven.
- Drink lots of water and other liquids.
To keep cool when it’s hot, you might also consider hiring a domestic cleaning service, such as MOLLY MAID, to do your cleaning for you. It would be nice to have the air conditioning on and offer them some cold water!