Skip to main content

0800 377 7507

Get in touch

Poisonous Plants for Dogs

With the onset of Spring, comes concern about the potential poisoning of our dogs if they ingest or come into close contact with certain Spring flowers or bulbs that are bursting with colour in our gardens or parks.

So, the professional house cleaning experts at MOLLY MAID believe that its best to be forewarned than forearmed to ensure that your much-loved member of the family stays out of harm’s way by warning about the poisonous flowers out there.

Very often the poisonous plants are the ones we all love to see when the weather warms up because they brighten up the landscapes. Unfortunately, some dogs being dogs, adore digging holes whether in a back garden or out on a walk in a park and this is when they may just dig up a bulb or two and the results could be disastrous if they swallow or chew on them.

Dangerous plants:

Watch out for common plants including:

  • Crocuses, Tulips and Daffodils. The bulbs are the most dangerous part, although chewing or licking the flowers will not kill a dog, it will make them very ill and you should seek veterinary attention as soon as possible.
  • Any species of Lily. The whole bulb is not poisonous, just part of it and it would only take as little as 15grams to kill a healthy dog.
  • Snowdrops, Lily of the Valley and Aconite are all toxic.

Watch out for the symptoms of poisoning:

If you notice any of the following symptoms in your dog, please ensure you get to your vet immediately:

  • Is your pet salivating more than usual?
  • Are they being sick (vomiting) and/or have they got diarrhoea?
  • Are they disorientated, are they unsteady on their feet and do they appear to lack coordination?
  • Has your dog collapsed or have you found them unconscious?

As soon as you call your vet, you are advised to furnish them with as much information as you can about what happened and which plants you suspect your dog may have eaten. By doing so, you will greatly increase their chance of survival and recovery.

  • Which plant you suspect your pet has eaten?
  • Take a sample of the plant with you to the surgery.
  • Quantity: How much of the plant they may have eaten?
  • Time: How long ago did your dog ingest the plant?

Please remember that immediate treatment is crucial!