Unusual pancake combinations
Shrove Tuesday, which is on 28th February this year, is the last day before the start of lent, which is traditionally a time of abstinence. So, Pancake Day is the last chance to indulge in the foods that were originally forbidden during this time such as fat, butter and eggs.
So, make this supper time even more exciting by trying out some unusual combinations, or if you’re not quite that daring, try at least one of the listed combinations alongside your favourite toppings from lemon and sugar and chocolate.
Sweetcorn, bacon and banana pancakes by Jamie Oliver
- 1 x 340 g tin of sweetcorn
- 6 spring onions
- 1 fresh red chilli
- 2 large free-range eggs
- 200 g cottage cheese
- 150 g wholemeal self-raising flour
- 50 ml semi-skimmed milk
- Olive oil
- 4 rashers of higher-welfare smoked streaky bacon
- 4 small bananas
- Tabasco jalapeño sauce, optional
Method: Tip the sweetcorn into a bowl, juice and all. Trim the spring onions and finely slice with the chilli, then add to the bowl along with the eggs, cottage cheese and flour. Mix together, then gradually loosen with the milk to a thick and oozy batter. Lightly season with sea salt and black pepper.
Put a large non-stick frying pan on a medium heat and wipe with a piece of oiled kitchen paper. Place 1 rasher of bacon in the pan and as soon as it starts to release its smoky fat, wiggle that around the pan. Add 2 small ladles of batter to one side and flatten them slightly. Peel 1 banana and cut into four chunky slices at an angle. Add them to the pan to caramelise, turning when golden. Once the pancakes are golden on the bottom, flip them over to cook on the other side. Finessing your temperature control so that everything is ready at the same time is an art. Serve pancakes with the banana, bacon and tabasco for drizzling.
Other unusual pancake combinations include using either traditional pancake mix, or an American batter mix with the following ingredients:
- Chocolate chips (mixed into the batter) topped with streaky bacon.
- Beer (mixed into the batter) and bacon pancakes topped with dark maple syrup. American pancake type recipe is best for this one.
- Orange juice (in the batter) and basil.
- Cheeseburger combination using an American pancake mix, mix the mince beef, cheese, bacon and spring onions together and continue as normal.
- Macaroni and cheese. American pancake mix is best used for this one as you simply fold in cooked macaroni and the cheese into the mix for the same flavour, but in pancake form.
Have fun this Pancake Day!