Easy meal in a mug recipes
Whether you are at home or at work, or even on the road for a short period of time, we all have to eat! What better way to stay healthy and avoid fast food and sandwiches this winter, than to prepare some hearty meals that can be enjoyed in a mug over a lunchtime for example! These recipes for a meal in a mug can be a filling but a healthy alternative to carbohydrate heavy meals.
Preparation is often the most time consuming thing about making a meal in a mug, but once it is done, the dish comes together quickly and can be batched up for several meals if portioned into re-sealable bags.
Here are some easy recipes to help convert you to a warming and healthy meal in a mug:
Chicken and rice soup
Ingredients for 4 servings:
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- 1/2 large yellow onion, diced
- 2 large carrots, peeled and sliced
- 1 stalk of celery, sliced
- 1/2 large red pepper, diced
- 1 tbsp cornstarch
- 1 litre of chicken stock
- 240ml semi-skimmed milk
- 1 large yellow squash, diced or aubergine
- 210g cooked brown rice
- 225g cooked chicken breast, diced
- 1 tbsp fresh thyme
- Salt to taste
- Heat the olive oil in a medium pot over medium-high heat. Add the onions, carrots, celery, and pepper. Let the vegetables sweat out in the pot for about 3-4 minutes. Stir occasionally.
- Add the corn starch, and mix it with the vegetables.
- Add the chicken stock, and bring it to boil.
- When the liquids boil, reduce the heat to medium-low.
- Add in the milk, diced yellow squash, brown rice, chicken, thyme and salt.
- When the liquids bubble again, turn off the heat.
This can be left in an airtight container in the fridge overnight. http://healthynibblesandbits.com/creamy-chicken-rice-soup/
Ingredients for 8 servings:
- 1 tbsps. grapeseed oil
- 2 lbs lean beef stew meat
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon black pepper
- 1/4 cup all-purpose flour
- 1 tbsps tomato paste
- 1 tbsps Worcestershire sauce
- 2 cloves garlic
- 5 carrots, peeled and sliced
- 4 parsnips, peeled and sliced
- 4 stalks celery, diced
- 1 onion, diced
- 3 white potatoes, peeled and cut into 1 to 2 inch pieces
- 1 bay leaf
- 14 ounces canned diced tomatoes, with liquid
- 14 ounces beef broth
- 2 tbsps fresh parsley
- 1 cup frozen green peas
- In a large cast iron dish, add 1 tablespoon of grapeseed oil. Heat the pot to medium-high heat and add in the lean stew meat.
- Season the meat with salt and pepper. Sear beef with lid on half the time for 10 minutes. Then sprinkle flour on the beef.
- Mix and add in the tomato paste, Worcestershire sauce and whole garlic cloves.
- Mix well for 1 minute then add the diced tomatoes and beef broth.
- Mix well, bring to a boil then reduce to medium-low heat. Cook for one hour, mixing occasionally.
- After the beef has been simmering for an hour add in the carrots, parsnips, celery, onion, and potatoes. Mix well and add in 1 bay leaf.
- Cook on medium-low heat for 1 additional hour (mixing occasionally).
- Add 2 tablespoons fresh parsley and 1 cup of frozen peas, mix well and cook for 10 additional minutes with the lid on. Serve and enjoy.
This recipe can be frozen to provide several meals in a mug. http://www.foodfanatic.com/2014/11/one-pot-beef-stew/
Chunky Salmon Chowder
Ingredients for 4 servings:
- 2 tbsp butter or olive oil
- 2 leeks, (white parts only), thinly sliced
- 2 stalks of celery, diced
- 1 clove garlic, minced
- ½ tsp salt
- 1 pinch pepper
- 2 large potatoes, peeled and cubed
- 1 tbsp all-purpose flour
- 4 cups chicken stock
- 1 (15 oz) boneless skinless salmon fillet, cut in chunks
- ½ cup frozen corn kernels
- ⅓ cup whipping cream
- 2 tbsp chopped fresh chives
- In a large cast iron dish, melt butter over medium heat; cook leeks, celery, garlic, salt and pepper, stirring occasionally, until softened, 4 to 6 minutes.
- Stir in potatoes and flour; cook, stirring occasionally, for 2 minutes.
- Stir in stock; bring to boil. Reduce heat, cover and simmer until potatoes are tender, 7 to 10 minutes.
- Add salmon and corn; simmer until fish flakes easily when tested, about 5 minutes.
- Stir in cream and chives then simmer for 2 minutes.
- Correct seasoning with salt and pepper to taste.