Skip to main content

Staying safe on Bonfire Night!

Remember, remember the 5th of November… with bonfires and firework being lit all around the country this coming week-end, it’s important to remember to respect the fact that you are going to an event involving fire and fireworks and therefore caution is needed so that fun can be had by all.

MOLLY MAID, the professional domestic cleaning experts recommend some of the below advice taken from various health and safety sources to help you, your family and your pets to stay safe and have fun on Bonfire night.

General

  • It is recommended that you attend a properly organised event where emergency staff are on hand to assist with any potential problems.
  • The highest number of firework-related injuries happen at family or private parties.
  • Around half of all injuries happen to children under the age of 17.
  • Never go near a firework that has been lit. Even if it hasn’t gone off it could still explode.
  • Did you know that a sparkler reaches a temperature of up to 2,000 degrees Celsius – that’s 20 times the boiling point of water?
  • It’s a good idea to stay vigilant and not to drink to excess even if you are not handling fireworks.

Children

  • Always supervise children around fireworks.
  • Ensure that they are warmly dressed and have eye muffs or ear defenders if they are sensitive to noise.
  • A sparkler burns at five times the heat of a bonfire.
  • Never give sparklers to a child under five.
  • Sparklers should be lit by adults and given to children.
  • Light sparklers one at a time and wear gloves.
  • Hold sparklers horizontally and away from eyes and face.
  • Dispose of the sparkler in a bucket of water whilst never touching the end.

Pets and Animals

  • This can be a very distressing time of year for our pets and animals living outdoors such as rabbits, guinea pigs and even horses.
  • Keep all pets indoors if you can and make sure their beds are comfortable.
  • It’s a good idea to give your dog a good walk during the day to help them sleep before the festivities begin in the evening.
  • Close all windows and curtain to try to drown out some of the noise.
  • Leave the television or radio on as a distraction.
  • If your pet is very scared, it should not be left alone, but try to ignore the scared behaviour and instead distract with a new toy or a bone.
  • Cover your rabbit or guinea pig hutch with some old carpet to help muffle the sound and make sure they are given extra straw to cuddle up in!
  • It’s a good idea to bring horses in and make sure they are comfortable. Their stables will help them to feel more secure and protect them from any potential falling ash from the fireworks.

Now that you know how to stay safe this bonfire night have a blast and enjoy!