Host a strawberries and cream party for Wimbledon
Wimbledon is well and truly underway and with a fair amount of uncertainty casting a shadow on the future of the UK, now is the ideal time to come together with friends, celebrate summer and to watch Wimbledon together – but, you cannot possibly host a Wimbledon party without the essential traditional strawberries and cream theme! Did you know that strawberries and cream were served at Wimbledon during the first tournament in 1877 and have been ever since?
The domestic cleaning professionals at MOLLY MAID suggest bringing in some cheer by decorating your own All England Club party room with some classic bunting – either red and white, or more appropriate for Wimbledon – green and yellow! Try hanging some old tennis balls on strings from the ceilings or door handles and decorate tables with cut open tennis balls filled with pretty garden flowers and if you can, some artificial grass to place in the centre under the tennis vase as a centre piece. If you are daring enough, you could ask your guests to come dressed as a previous Wimbledon finalist…
To add to the genuine feel, consider hosting your own smaller game of Wimbledon tennis in the garden. Mark out a much smaller tennis court using some water dissolvable spray paint and organise a small competition involving everyone of all ages. If this isn’t possible, why not unearth the Swing Ball from the garden and encourage everyone to have a go? It’s amazing how quickly you become competitive!
So with the theme organised, next comes the food and drink! Since this is a strawberries and cream party, the following foods are almost regarded as essentials:
- Deliciously sweet strawberries accompanied by heavy pouring cream
- Scones, strawberry jam and clotted cream
Why not add the following to your strawberries and cream party:
- Classic Victoria Sponge Cake filled with strawberry jam
- Strawberry cheesecake
- Strawberry pavlova filled with fresh cream
- Strawberry jelly served with pouring cream
- Strawberry and vanilla ice cream
- Jars of strawberries and cream sweets:
- Retro strawberry and cream boiled sweets
- Strawberry and cream jellies
Fresh strawberry milkshake for the children
Champagne or fizz served with cut up strawberries
Frozen Strawberry Daiquiri
Classic No.1 Pimms (see previous blog for recipe).
Strawberry and cream cocktail:
- 50ml Bloom Strawberry Cup (or strawberry liquor)
- 25ml Gin
- 50ml double cream
- 10ml vanilla syrup
- 2 ripe strawberries
- Cut up the strawberries and muddle them in a cocktail shaker. Add the rest of the ingredients with ice and shake. To increase the frothiness of the drink, pour it into one half of the shaker, discard the ice and shake again without ice.
- Fine strain, using a small sieve, into a cocktail glass. Garnish with a strawberry!
And finally, don’t forget to take plenty of photos! These parties are where family memories are made. Enjoy.