Make your Christmas sparkle! Tips for cleaning light fixtures
The Christmas period is the perfect time to clean lights and light fixtures of dirt, dust and grime, according to the professional cleaning services company, MOLLY MAID. This is the time of year, when you want everything to sparkle over the holidays.
Here’s a guide for cleaning light fixtures:
- Start upstairs and clean each lamp in turn.
- Don’t be in a hurry. This is a job that requires patience to avoid accidental breakages.
- Turn on the light and make sure light bulbs are all working. Replace burnt-out bulbs.
- Turn off the light.
- Do a quick dusting of the exterior of the light fixture with a dust cloth.
- Carefully remove the shade or cover.
- Wipe off the bulb and base with a slightly damp cloth.
- Gently wash glass and plastic lamp covers by hand in a sink full of warm, soapy water. Rinse, and dry thoroughly with a lint free towel or cloth. (Do not put the glass fixture into the dishwasher. Heat can easily break delicate glass covers, or fade exterior detailing. Also, automatic dishwasher detergent can dull or scratch decorative design and coatings on some fixtures).
- For other lamp shades: vacuum beaded shapes/wipe with damp cloth; dust fabric shades with soft vacuum attachment and clean professionally if necessary; wipe metal shades with soft, damp cloth; wipe paper shades and replace when they’re too dirty to clean; vacuum rattan shades; have silk shades professionally cleaned.
- Reassemble the lighting fixture.