HOW TO: The smart way to change a duvet
The professional domestic cleaners at MOLLY MAID are often called upon at this time of year to clean a home prior to visitors, or extended family arriving for Christmas. However, it’s the unexpected visitors, for whom you haven’t prepared a bed for, that often cause panic!
We all know that having to change a duvet is tedious and always seem to take longer than expected, no matter how well practiced we are. Fighting with a King Size Duvet cover is never appealing and short of bribing your little one to crawl up inside it, there never seems to be a fool proof way of dealing with it.
The easiest method up until now has always relied on the principle of turning the duvet cover inside out. With the duvet flat on the bed, lay the duvet cover on top. Then, with the opening of the duvet at the foot of the bed, walk your hands to the top of the inside corners grabbing the corners of the duvet with each hand and flipping the cover over and inside out, showing the right side of the duvet and giving it a good shake. This then requires you to follow up with a good dusting everywhere!
However, it seems there’s an even simpler solution to changing a duvet cover with a similar ‘inside out technique’ now and it’s called the ‘Burrito or Sausage’ method!
Here’s how to master the ‘Burrito/ Sausage’ technique:
You might need a friend or your partner to help you out initially until you get the hang of it.
- Turn the duvet cover inside out and lay it on the mattress with the opening at the foot of the bed.
- Lay the duvet on top.
- Safety pin the two top corners of the duvet cover to the duvet (or just hold it tight).
- Start at the head of the bed (where you have safety pinned the duvet to the cover) and roll the duvet into a sausage up to the foot of the bed.
- When you get to the end, put the ends of the duvet inside the cover.
- Unroll the ‘sausage’ up to the head of the bed and there you have it!
Please see http://inhabitat.com/the-ingenious-duvet-cover-trick-that-will-change-your-life-video/ for more guidance.
If you have found this useful, why not check out some of our ironing tips