Simple homemade Christmas gifts
Struggling with some novel ideas for Christmas gifts? Why not try some of these simple yet innovative ideas for homemade Christmas gifts as suggested by MOLLY MAID, the professional domestic cleaners.
If you still have a record collection and wonder whether it’s time to have a cull, why not turn them into personalised trendy wall art? The children may also enjoy helping with creating your new master piece.
Vinyl Record Art
- Unwanted/ old record
- Spray paint or acrylic pain
- Clear coat spray
- Scrap material such as ribbon/ string
- Hot glue gun
- Circular image (to cover the centre of the record)
- White glue
- A frame (if you are wishing to frame your work of art).
- Spray paint your record or, if you are using acrylic paint, use a large brush and paint in the direction of the grooves, and allow to dry.
- Place your chosen image (your partner, pet or a photo of a memorable occasion) around a circular template as close in size to the 4″ in diameter to cover the label, and cut around it.
- Glue your image(s) with white glue to create your design. Then, coat the record with the clear coating and allow to dry. Either using hot glue, or by creating two small holes insert a ribbon or material to use as a hanger. If you would rather frame your art, skip this step.
- Now it’s time let your creative juices run riot and anything else such as sequins, stickers, glitter, rhinestones, more ribbons, playing cards, tickets or anything that would personalise even further.
Coasters make an excellent gift for extended family, who will be proud to have them on show when visitors pop round, or indeed used on a daily basis to remind them of happy memories. These can be brought straight up to date by using Instagram for your source of images directly from your phone. Although this is a simple project, it may be easier to complete over a series of days to allow the glue to dry completely before applying the next layer.
- Pre- cut wood tiles or ceramic tiles around 4.5” squares.
- Your favourite photos.
- Clear drying white decoupage glue or mod podge
- Acrylic sealer
- Sponge, brushes, and a few rags
- Felt (for backing to prevent surfaces from being scratched)
- Cut photos to fit the squares.
- Apply a thin layer of glue to the tile and place the image down carefully and press down from top to bottom to ensure you get rid of any bubbles (tip: using a credit card to do this can be helpful).
- Allow to dry completely.
- Carefully apply a coat of glue over the image with a brush brushing in one direction and allow to dry completely. Repeat this process on more time.
- In order to seal the image, take the coasters outside, lay them on wax paper and spray with Acrylic sealer. Once dry, repeat this process a few times to give the coasters a protective waterproof layer.
- To give the coasters a finished feel, apply some glue to the back of the coaster and cut out a piece of felt to fit the tile and stick. This will protect surfaces from being scratched.
- Ensuring they are completely dry (allow a full day after the last application to be on the safe side), stack the coasters and tie up in a bundle with a pretty ribbon.
Individually designed iphone or smart phone case
Owning a smart phone is no longer an aspiration, it is a reality in today’s world, so why not create an individually crafted cover or case for our friend or family members. Not only does it show that you are putting much care into your gift, but it also represents great value.
Top tip: Remember not to cover the area where the camera is found.
- Clear iPhone/ Smart phone case to fit the ‘phone
- Pretty papers/ paint/ fabrics/ jewels
- Clear coat spray
- Paint brushes
Try anything from lace to a collage of quotes, images (reduced in size). Remember to cut out a template of and stick the materials onto this and stick to the inside of the case.
Decorate the clear case with funky coloured circles or patterns and allow to dry.
Place stickers on the clear case and secure with clear coat spray. Remember to match with the colour of the phone.
Create a geometric design, or a pattern, with jewels of sequins stuck to the clear case.
Pressed dried flowers/ petals/ heather
These can look very effective on a clear case and often less is more! Choose a few flowers and design an ‘arrangement’. Using tweezers carefully replicate the arrangement onto the inside of the case, then carefully dot a few very tiny droplets of white glue around the flowers and blot the glue with your fingers. It shouldn’t take much to secure the arrangement.