Is your boiler ready for winter?
Before winter arrives, it’s a good idea to ensure that the boiler is ready to heat your home. Contact a heating professional for a standard inspection. During the inspection check for leaks and unhealthy gases and ensure that everything is in good operating order. The house cleaning experts at MOLLY MAID recommend that you follow some of the below tips to get your boiler ready for winter:
How can you keep the boiler operating efficiently?
- Remove any items that are stored too near the boiler, particularly anything that may catch fire.
- Remove any household items that are sitting on top of or in front of heating outlets.
- If you have hot-water radiators, bleed the valves. Open the valves slightly and close them again when water starts to appear.
- Aim to set your main room thermostat somewhere between 18°C and 21°C.
- Turning your thermostat down 1 degree could save 5-10% off your gas bill, so try this if you still feel comfortable at a lower temperature.
- You don’t need to change the thermostat depending on the outside temperature – it should take care of that automatically.
- If you have thermostats in other rooms, adjust the temperature to around 10-15°C and turn them back up when you’re using the room.
- Ensure you have carbon monoxide and radon detectors in the house, which can be purchased from most DIY shops.