Do your carpets need to be cleaned?
Use this quick quiz to determine if carpets need to be steam cleaned. Answer ‘yes’ or ‘no’:
- The carpets look dirty. (Appearance is the number one reason home owners have their carpets cleaned.)
- There are stains on carpets that you cannot remove. (Professionals have special stain-removal products.)
- Pets live in your home. (Dogs and cats walk in dust and shed dander, which can get ground into carpets).
- The last time you cleaned your carpets was – you can’t remember. (The general recommendation is that carpets are cleaned once a year.)
- The house smells a bit musty… and you can’t figure out why. (It’s possible that dirty carpets are causing the smell).
- There’s a big event coming up in your home. (Whether you’re putting the house on the market or hosting a special occasion, the carpets should look their best).
If you answered ‘yes’ to one or more of these questions, it may be time to rent a carpet cleaner or to have carpets professionally cleaned. If you answered ‘no’, kudos to you. Keeping carpets clean is challenging at the best of times. Here is a quick checklist of tips from the professional cleaners at MOLLY MAID.
CARPET CLEANING TIPS
- Vacuum frequently to keep carpets clean. Keep filters clean and empty the vacuum cleaner bags before they get too full. Use a door mat and ask everyone to take off their shoes.
- Take care of spills straight away. Plain water will work for most; but a mixture of water and vinegar will work too. Spills will not become stains if you deal with them quickly.
- Never rub a carpet stain too harshly – this may set the stain even more or you may damage fibres.
- Cover a damp stain with an absorbent cloth, then put a heavy book on top of that and leave overnight – so the cloth soaks up as much of the stain as possible. (If you don’t do that, the stain may reappear.)
- If there’s mould or mildew on the carpet for some reason, clean it using a lemon juice and salt solution. Or, brush the area with a solution of 1 part 3% hydrogen peroxide and 5 parts water. But do that on a hidden area first to make sure the carpet is not going to discolour and wear gloves.