The ‘ick’ list
Everyone has a list of cleaning chores that they despise. Here is a guide to cleaning some of the worst. The domestic cleaning experts at MOLLY MAID say that when you use the right method, it’s easier than you think.
- Greasy kitchen extractor fan filter: Fill a bucket or the sink with hot water. Stir in a few squirts of de-greasing washing up liquid and ¼ cup baking soda. Slide or pop out the filter and soak it for 10 to15 minutes, then scrub it with a non-abrasive scrubbing brush adding more washing up liquid if necessary. Rinse in hot water and dry with a clean cloth. (To avoid build-up, clean at least once a month.)
- The toilet: Lift the lid and spray everywhere with bathroom cleaner. Wipe the top, sides and front of tank. Clean the handle with soapy water. Clean the lid, seat, ledge and hinges behind the seat. Lift the seat and wipe underneath. Use the toilet brush to clean the inside of the toilet bowl. Close and flush the toilet.
- Mould in shower cubicle: Mix together a paste of baking soda and water. Dip a scrubbing brush into the mixture and work into the grout (which is where the mould starts). Spray with a solution of 1:1 vinegar and water, and let it work for a few seconds. Use the brush to remove any build-up and rinse with warm water.
- Old vegetables in the fridge drawer: Remove the offending vegetable drawer. Put the drawer into the sink and fill it with warm water and washing up liquid soap. Wipe and wash the inside. Use baking soda to remove stubborn stains. Rinse and dry.
- Vomit on a carpet: Use an old scraper or flat edge to scrape off as much as possible. Sprinkle a little cornflour directly onto the stained area completely covering it. Let the cornflour soak for 10 to 15 minutes. With a clean cloth, blot the stain. If a stain remains, mix 1 tbsp each of white vinegar and washing up liquid into 2 cups of warm water. Sponge the stain until it comes clean.