Ditch the Gym – Burn Calories Doing Housework!
Here are some great ways to burn calories doing housework in the terrace or garden. Our quick guide from the domestic cleaning expert, MOLLY MAID, outlines various activities and why they are good for you.
- Mow the lawn with a manual lawn mower: Mowing the lawn for 20 minutes can burn more calories than a power walk. You can expect to burn about 325 calories per hour.
- Pulling weeds and pruning shrubs: Gardening, in general, burns approximately 200 to 400 calories an hour. Digging in the garden will help tone your calves, thighs, arms, and shoulders. If you dig vigorously enough and continue the activity for 20 minutes or more, you can even raise your heart rate and strengthen your cardiovascular system. Weeding can also tone your thighs and bottom. Make sure to always protect your back by keeping your spine straight whilst bending down.
- Painting: Staining woodwork or repainting the fence can burn approximately 290 calories per hour. Painting is an excellent way to tone your legs and arm muscles.
- Washing the car: The scrubbing motion of washing your car can give your arms and abdominal muscles a great workout. For every 30 minutes of car washing, you’ll burn 143 calories.
- Cleaning windows: The cleaning experts at MOLLY MAID tell us that washing windows for 30 minutes burns about 125 calories. While you’re at it, vacuum or dust the windowsills for an added bonus.
- Cleaning the terrace: Sweeping and mopping can also be a great upper and lower body workout. By doing this household task, you can burn approximately 240 calories per hour.