If it’s not rubbish or something that can be recycled, the item is likely to be hazardous waste. Contact your local council to find out where household hazardous waste can be disposed of (and how it should be packaged).
Here is a checklist of hazardous waste items.
- Full or partially full aerosol cans
- Fluorescent light tubes
- CFLs (Compact Fluorescent Lamps)
- Mercury thermometers/non-electric thermostats
- Nail polish & remover
- Paint cans (empty cans are recyclable)
- Pesticides (all forms)
- Pool chemicals
- Propane and helium tanks and cylinders (empty or with gas)