The magic that is Bicarbonate of Soda!
‘Clean and Natural’ Bicarbonate of Soda is a traditional cleaning product, renowned for its deodorising and mild abrasive properties. Bicarbonate of Soda is often mistakenly referred to as Baking Soda; although they are very similar, it hasn’t got the raising agents required for baking!
MOLLY MAID, the domestic cleaning professionals, believe Bicarbonate of Soda (bicarb) is extremely versatile and has a number of useful properties, and can be used for the following household tasks:
- Sprinkle a bit of bicarb on a wet cloth and use it in bathrooms, kitchens and anywhere else that you would normally use a cream cleaner.
- Add a small bowl of bicarb to your fridge to neutralise smells. Change it once a month and your fridge should stay fresh.
- Pour 200g of bicarbonate of soda, swiftly followed by a kettle of boiling water down your sinks once a week to keep them clean and unblocked.
- Soak smelly or stained tupperware in hot water with a sprinkling of bicarbonate of soda overnight.
- Sprinkle bicarbonate of soda on to BBQ grills, then soak, in order to reduce scrubbing.
- Add 4tbsp of bicarb to a spray bottle 3/4 filled with boiling water – shake well. Allow to cool a little then add your favourite scented essential oils. Allow to cool completely and use as a spray to freshen clothes and soft furnishings.
- Lightly dust your carpets with bicarbonate of soda, leave overnight then vacuum come morning. Your carpets will be fresh and clean.
- Pour a glug of vinegar (malt will do) down your toilet, followed by a couple of tablespoons of bicarbonate of soda. Allow to fizz up and settle, then flush.
- Clean your oven with a paste made from salt, bicarb and warm water, it makes it look shiny and new!
- Clean thermos flasks (new and vintage) with bicarb and water -it takes any niffy smells out almost straight away.