Beauty in the Cupboard
Trendy coconut oil is proving to be one of the most versatile beauty products ever. It has recently been reported that it can be used for the following beauty treatments:
- Hand cream- Soothe dry hands by moisturising with a bit of coconut oil.
- Smooth legs- Apply coconut oil onto your legs, rinse your shaver – and shave. This is an inexpensive and naturally antimicrobial shaving method, and it smells good too.
- Body scrub- Melt ½ cup of coconut oil at very low heat. Pour over 1 cup of brown sugar or salt, and stir well. Mix in a few drops of essential oil or pure vanilla extract. Use as a scrub on your body.
- Body moisturiser- Use coconut oil as you would a moisturiser. Virgin coconut oil increases hydration and reduces water loss in dry skin.
- Massage oil– Use coconut oil for a skin-friendly massage.
IN THE HOME: The professional housecleaners at MOLLY MAID say that coconut oil can be used to clean in the house too. Clean leather shoes by working a small amount into the leather to moisturise and shine them. Remove sticky label residue by covering the problem label with a film of coconut oil, letting it soak and then wiping off the label. Clean ink from plastic or vinyl furniture by using coconut oil undiluted on the stain. Gently scrub to remove taking care not to damage any surfaces.