Quick and Dirty: Holiday Cleaning Emergencies
Guests are coming over during the festive period – and there are going to be cleaning emergencies (there always are!). The experts at MOLLY MAID Professional House Cleaning Services provide these quick and easy solutions for common problems.
- White (heat) stains on wooden table top: Put mineral oil on a soft rag and rub it into the stain. (It is always advisable to test on a very small area first). Let it sit overnight. Wipe clean. Repeat if necessary.
- Lipstick on wine glasses: Don’t put wineglasses as they are into the dishwasher. Rub the lipstick smudges with a little salt – it will remove the stain easily. Wear rubber gloves if you want. Then, wash as usual.
- Sticky price tag labels: If you see and feel remnants of a price tag on the bottom of a gift you just opened, use an alcohol wipe or pour some alcohol onto a cotton ball and rub it around to remove it. The sticky material should disappear. If that doesn’t work, put some olive oil onto the sticky substance and be sure it soaks through. Let it sit for about 30 minutes. It should slide off easily.
- Red wine… white tablecloth? Coat the stain with salt and let it stand for five minutes. Now (this is the tricky part), stretch the stained area over a bowl and secure it with a rubber band. Place in the sink and carefully pour boiling water over the stain from a height of at least a foot. The stain should wash away.
- Dripped wax on tablecloth. Put the tablecloth into the freezer for an hour. Remove it and crack the wax and remove what you can. Rub mineral spirits into any remaining wax. Rinse with rubbing alcohol, let it dry fully and then wash with an enzyme detergent.