Cleaning Electronics: tricks of the trade
The professional house cleaners at MOLLY MAID are always facedwith questions about cleaning challenges; one of the biggest is howto clean electronics.
Here’s how to do it:
- Always check the owner’s manual for instructions regarding thecare and cleaning of electronic equipment such as the stereo,speakers, television, DVD player before embarking on thisproject!
- Dust the outsides of electronics with a soft dust-mop cloth.Don’t use abrasives or solvents on metal.
- Use glass cleaner sprayed on a microfibre cloth to clean thetop, sides and control panels and to wipe the shelf in front ofstereo equipment. Never spray cleaning product directly onto homeelectronics.
- Spray the vents of equipment with a can of compressed air toremove dust.
- Wipe the dock of your rechargeable electronics with a slightlydamp microfibre cloth.
- Clean remote controls with a damp microfibre cloth – wiping theentire surface including the front, back, sides and buttons. It’sespecially important to clean surfaces that we touch a lot, as thisis where we transfer germs. You could consider using a small amountof surgical spirit on a microfibre cloth to ensure the germs aredealt with.
- Use a dry electrostatic cloth or sponge to dust screens ofplasma, LCD and standard TV sets in long horizontal strokesstarting at the top of the screen.
- To clean the frame and ‘cabinet’ of the TV, use a microfibrecloth to dust the top and sides. Use the soft-brush attachment ofthe vacuum cleaner to remove dust from the ventilation grills atthe back of the TV.