When it’s hot, there’s nothing more fun or refreshing than a water games day with family or friends. Everyone gets to be a child again!
Advise everyone to bring their swimsuit, a towel, flip flops, and waterproof sunscreen. Add a little background music, snacks, and cold lemonade. And turn on the water!
The Garden/ outside space
- Buy or borrow a few kiddie pools – and splash around with the little ones.
- Have a pool party if you are fortunate enough to have a pool. Make sure someone is always acting as lifeguard. And be sure to have rules about behaviour in the pool, etc.
- Turn on the sprinkler – and take turns running through it.
- Gather as many spray bottles, buckets, tubs, and water pistols as possible – and have a water fight! It’s amazing how quickly adults become children again!
- Fill a bunch of balloons with water – and try one of these fun games.
- Water Balloon Spoon Races: Fill up small water balloons and race them on a spoon, much like an egg race. First to the finish line with balloon intact wins!
- Water Balloon Toss:Grab a partner and stand across from them. Toss a water balloon back and forth, stepping further back with each toss. For a variation, consider catching the balloon in a bowl, bucket, or towel.
- Water Balloon Bust or Hot Potato Balloon:Everyone sits in a circle. Play music and pass a balloon around the circle. When the music ended (someone should be manning the music), the person left with the balloon can break it over their head. Or, they can choose to squeeze it over another person’s head. Use a new water-filled balloon and play again.
Local area or park
- Spend an afternoon at a local outdoor local pool. Then, pick up pizza on the way back home as a treat.
- Pack a picnic and go to a conservation area that has a lake or a river and settle down for a few hours with books and some traditional games like cards or backgammon, or try asking the children to go ‘bug hunting’ or ‘butterfly spotting’.