Summer Pests: How to Banish Ants
Ants can be a nuisance during a picnic, but even more so if you spot them inside the house. The best way to banish them is to deal with them straight away.
The experts all say that prevention is the best cure. Here are some tips:
- On first sighting, vacuum or otherwise kill ants in the house.
- Since ants are attracted by food, the professional housecleaners at MOLLY MAID say it’s most important to keep the houseclean, especially the kitchen.
- Even a small morsel of food can attract ants. Wipe kitchen surfaces and the kitchen table after every meal. Sweep the floor too.
- Cover any left-over or larder foods and put them away (in the fridge if possible).
- Don’t leave any washing up in the sink. After every meal, wash up dishes or put them in the dishwasher.
- Try not to let moisture accumulate on surfaces. Ants look for water too.
- Keep rubbish, kitchen compost bins and any food containers in the kitchen as clean as possible. Clean any food spills from the outside of these containers immediately.
- Put the rubbish out every day. Store rubbish bins as far from the actual house as you can. Make sure rubbish bins have lids and that you keep them closed and clean.
- Try these natural ant repellents sprinkled in areas where the ants were spotted: cayenne pepper, cinnamon, ordinary pepper or baking powder. Alternatively, mix vinegar with water and spray this mixture.
- Keep a close eye on any new ant activity! If it continues, you may have to call in pest control as there may be a nest in the house.