10 Autumn Garden Tasks You Need To Do Now
How do you prepare the back yard and garden for winter? Here’s a checklist:
- Remove old plant matter from the garden and put it into the compost bin.
- Rake leaves (this is good for the lawn because it will help to de-thatch the lawn) and use some of them as mulch for the garden beds.
- Winterize the compost bin if you have one by applying a layer of raked leaves on top and all around the perimeter, bagging the leaves if necessary to hold them in place.
- If you still have leaves left on your lawn, run the mower through them (be sure the grass catcher is attached). This is a quick and easy way to clean them up.
- Clean and store the lawn mower as per manufacturer’s instructions.
- Protect small fragile shrubs by building a lean-to or some other structure around them – to help keep any snow from damaging limbs.
- Give trees and shrubs a good watering before the ground freezes- this will help them get through the frozen months.
- Make ready for winter in-ground swimming pools or water gardens following manufacturers’ recommendations. Take in garden statues and other items that may be damaged by cold and snow.
- Turn off water to the outdoor tap from the inside source and bring in the garden hose.
- Clean outdoor furniture and furnishings (MOLLY MAID housecleaners recommend warm water, a little detergent and elbow grease). If you don’t have room inside the garden shed or the garage to store the furniture, group them together on the patio or outside the back door and cover them with a thick tarpaulin.