In a perfect world the junk drawer stays clean, tidy, and
But family members are forever rummaging in the junk drawer
looking for something, so there comes a time when the drawer's
contents need to be sorted out and tidied if anyone has any chance
of finding anything!
In fact, the home cleaning professionals at MOLLY MAID recommend
cleaning out the junk drawer at least once every four to six months
to stay on top of the clutter.
Here's how to clean it out:
- Take everything out of the drawer, sorting each item into five
piles as you do: 'keep', 'throw away', 'recycle', 'put in a
different drawer', 'not sure'.
- Vacuum out the drawer (remember to use the crevice tool to
reach all the corners) and wipe with a slightly damp microfibre
- Line the drawer with lining paper. The paper will help keep it
clean. Wallpaper will work instead of drawer-lining paper. Or,
scented paper will keep things smelling great.
- Return items to the drawer in an organised fashion. Consider
making a trip to the pound shop to get some small containers which
will help keep order.
- Anything left in the 'not sure' pile? It might be time to